Let's know about the ethical responsibility of the aerobics trainer. This could be subjective, but let's use this example:
Aerobics trainers have a responsibility to their clients as well as to the society. Aerobics trainers are on their honor to uphold certain ethics and perform their duties to their clients and employees according to a set code of ethics that they must keep in mind at all times. The foundation of the code of ethics revolves around the basic duties of the aerobics trainer towards the clients, practices to be followed during work, protecting the rights and interests of the clients, maintaining professional relations with the clients and performing one's duty towards the profession.
The relationship with the client
1. The clients' medical condition: the interests and the welfare of the clients with respect to their medical condition before or during the exercise/exertion must be kept in mind.
2. The aerobics trainer must ensure that the best advice and guidance is provided to the clients. Don't force all of the clients to do the same! Everybody is different.
3. Inappropriate behavior with the clients: the aerobics trainer must not develop intimate or sexual relations with any of the clients.
4. Privacy of the clients: the aerobics trainer must protect the personal information relating to the address or medical condition of the clients provided by them.
5. Misguiding the clients: the aerobics trainer must not abuse his/her position to influence the clients to undergo any exercise or treatment that is of no benefit to their health or well being.
6. The contractual relation: the aerobics trainer must adhere to the contract signed with the clients and is bound to act honestly and in a trustworthy manner with the clients at all times.
7. Discrimination: the aerobics trainer must not discriminate between clients on the basis of race, class/caste, creed, education level or any other distinguishing factor. All clients must be provided with the same level of service at the same price.
The conduct of the aerobics trainer
1. The aerobics trainer should remain in the domain of knowledge acquired during education and certification and should not try to experiment or recommend exercises or treatment for which he/she is not qualified.
2. The aerobics trainer must always act in a responsible manner with respect to issues related to the clients' health and security. Avoiding any form of injury should be a prime concern for the aerobics trainer!
3. The aerobics trainer must take the initiative to improve and update his/her knowledge so as to be able to recommend the latest form of exercise or treatment to the clients.
4. The aerobics trainer must not misrepresent or advertise himself/herself in any untruthful way with respect to his/her education, skills, experience, etc.
5. The aerobics trainer must not work in an intoxicated condition and should not be suffering from any communicable disease while at work. The aerobics trainer should undergo the required blood tests in case of suspicion of any serious communicable disease (a.k.a. “infectious” or “transmissible” disease).
6. The aerobics trainer should not try to recommend any product or service such as health powders, medicines, etc. to the clients simply because the selling company will pay them some commission. Since the aerobics trainer is in a position to influence the clients, it is very important to keep in mind that the welfare of the clients is far more important than any additional monetary benefits that may accrue to the aerobics trainer. All recommendations should be based solely on health considerations.
7. In case of any difference of opinion or interest with a client, the aerobics trainer must take a decision that is in the best interest of the client. If there is a conflict of interest with the client which is likely to affect the level of service provided by the aerobics trainer, it is advised that the contractual relationship be discontinued to avoid any harm to the client.
Conduct at the work place and towards society
1. The aerobics trainer must cooperate with his/her colleagues at the work place in terms of offering help and exchanging information. He/she must behave in a manner that is honest and in good faith with all colleagues.
2. The aerobics trainer must bring to the notice of the management or higher authorities, if he/she notices any activity which is not in the best interest of the clients. This could extend to passing on information regarding the malpractices, unethical behavior or misdeeds of any colleague or client at the work place.
3. The aerobics trainer must always respect the law and make sure that he/she is complying with the statutory requirements of the State's Government. The aerobics trainer must also ensure that he/she does not perform any activity that could lead to legal complications.
4. The aerobics trainer must endeavor to further the profession and to help promote the benefits of fitness and exercise for the good of other fellow humans.