- Did you see the neutrino speed of light thing?
- Yup! Good news; I need the cash.
- Huh? Cash?
Yeah. When there's a news story about a study overturning all of physics, I used to urge caution, remind people that experts aren't all stupid, and end up in pointless arguments about Galileo.
-No, this isn't about
whether relativity exists. If it didn't, your GPS wouldn't work. -- What do you mean, "Science thought police"? Have you seen our budget? We couldn't begin to afford our own thought police.
- That sounds miserable and unfulfilling.
- Yup. So I gave up, and now I just find excited believers and bet them $200 each that the new result won't pan out.
- That's mean.
- It provides a good income, and if I'm ever wrong, I'll be too excited about the new physics to notice the loss.http://xkcd.com/955/